A real treat to make these. A sweetheart of a pattern from Decades Of Style pattern company – the instructions are bold and clear. They took me two days to complete without much fiddly finishing off.
The bits that took the longest were the buttonholes! I’ve got a bog standard Janome sewing machine, it doesn’t have a chip and doesn’t do buttonholes automatically whilst I make a cup of coffee. It was the first time I’d used the buttonhole attachment – I really like it and its low-techiness. You place a button in its holder and it gauges the size of the buttonhole from the button’s diameter.
This took a few goes as the machine had a bit of trouble clicking into reverse mode once it had sewn the second buttonhole bar – I think it was the fabric that was problematic and I just gave the gizmo a little manual nudge each time to get the buttonhole completed.
I added a tiny press stud on the end of the bib strap just to hold the back strap in place – I’m not exactly long-bodied and there was a little excess bib strap that wouldn’t lie neatly under the back strap.
I had wanted nice deco buttons, possibly square – and I’m still looking. For the time being I’ve used some vintage ones from my stash, and added two at the backwaist, for visual effect.
What else can I say in praise of these overalls – they are really comfy, I went out dancing in them last night – rigorous Lindy Hopping in very hot sweaty conditions.
They stood up to a lot of twisting and leg kicking – I did remember to reinforce the crotch seam mind you.
The fabric was a cheap polyester, for ease of care really – I made the overalls as a dancing outfit specifically and they’d need a good wash after each outing. I’d make them again in a nice medium weight suiting for posh wear I think.
The cheesecake photo shoot serves to show off my newest Cruiser Bike that I got in the summer - she goes like a dream!